Google Sheets Integration
What is Google Sheets Integration?
Google Sheets Integration allows responses from your form to be sent into a spreadsheet in your Google Docs account.
In order to use this integration, you must have a Formsite account at the Pro 1 or higher service level and an active Google account. Use the instructions below to integrate your form with your Google Docs account.
Create Your Google Account
We recommend creating a separate Google account specifically for use with Formsite, if possible. This account can then be used in Formsite to setup Google Sheets Integration. You can share spreadsheets in this separate Google account to other accounts. To share a spreadsheet, follow the "Share" menu option once logged into Google Docs.
- Visit docs.google.com and click the "Get Started" button.
- Provide Google with the information they request to create your account. Please note that your Formsite and Google accounts are separate - we cannot retrieve any information regarding your Google account for any reason.
- Follow Google's instructions to complete your account setup.
Formsite's Google Sheets Settings
Your form's Google Sheets settings are controlled on the "Form Settings->Integrations->Google Sheets" page.
Setup Google Sheets Integration by following these steps once you have your Google account.
- Log into your Formsite account and go to the "Form Settings->Integrations->Google Sheets" page for your form.
- Click the "Get Token" button to retrieve an authentication token from Google. You will be asked to log into your Google account if you are not already, and then click the "Grant access" button to return to Formsite with the new token.
- Enter the name of the spreadsheet that should be saved to Google. The default is the form's name.
- Select the Results View, Results Filter, and Results Labels that should be applied to results when inserting them into the spreadsheet. Only those responses allowed by the Results View and Filter will have their results inserted.
- Save the page. The spreadsheet will automatically be created in your Google Sheets area if you have any existing results. Otherwise it will be created upon the first result submission.
Collecting Google Sheets Results
Once Google Sheets Integration has been completed, your form is ready to accept results. When a user fills out your form, their response will be inserted into the specified Google Docs spreadsheet.
When editing a result from the "Results->Results Table" page or when using the Save & Return feature, your spreadsheet results will automatically get updated. Your chosen Results View needs to include the "Reference #" field for this functionality.
NOTE: Your Google account is independent of your Formsite account. Results will be saved to your Google Docs spreadsheet as well as Formsite when the form is submitted or results are edited.
Tips and Troubleshooting
If for some reason a result was not submitted to Google, or Google Sheets Integration was not setup yet when the result was collected, you can resubmit it to Google by simply editing and saving the result at the "Results->Results Table" page. A spreadsheet will automatically be created in your Google Docs account with the specified name if it does not already exist.
The columns in the Google spreadsheet are based upon your form's format when the spreadsheet is created. If you edit the form or any of the items after the spreadsheet has been created in Google, results may not be saved correctly. To resolve this, you can edit the spreadsheet from within Google Sheets to match your form, delete the spreadsheet altogether, or start a new Google spreadsheet by changing the Spreadsheet Name field at the "Form Settings->Integrations->Google Sheets" page. If you delete the spreadsheet or start a new one, it will be created after saving the "Form Settings->Integrations->Google Sheets" page or upon the next form submission. Deleted items and results will not be preserved in the spreadsheet if it is recreated.
To pre-populate a Google spreadsheet with existing Formsite results, download your results from your form's "Results->Export" page, using the "Comma-Separated" Data Delimiter option. Once you have downloaded the file, import it into Google using the "Upload" button at docs.google.com. The name you assign to the spreadsheet when uploading should match the Google Spreadsheet Name field on the "Form Settings->Integrations->Google Sheets" page.
NOTE: Deleting results within Formsite will not delete results from your Google Sheets spreadsheet.
The instructions for creating and working with your Google Docs account were created by Formsite to assist you in creating your Google account as easily as possible. If Google makes changes to their site, these instructions may become inaccurate. Please contact Google with any Google Docs specific questions.