Use Your Formsite Form with Website Builders
Formsite makes forms fast and easy, and our customers frequently use fast and easy website building tools to embed their forms. The most popular website builders we get requests about include Squarespace, Wix, and WordPress. These services make getting online super easy and work great with Formsite forms, so let’s see how to work with each.
The easiest of the group, Squarespace allows custom scripts to be used and handles our embed code with ease.
- Open an account with Squarespace or log in to your existing account.
- In your site editor, go to the page you want your form to appear on and click edit
- Hover over the insert bar and click to insert an item, then select the Embed icon
- Click the code icon (looks like </>) and paste your form’s embed code, found in your Formsite account under Share -> Embed Code
- Click save and preview your site
Wix is one of the easiest and popular choices among website builders but they don’t allow custom scripts to be used, so we need to work around this limitation.
- Open an account with Wix or log in to your existing account
- In your site editor, click the Add button
- Click More
- Click Embed a Site
- In your Formsite account, click your form’s Share page and copy the form link
- Paste the form link into the website address field
- Locate and resize the element as needed
Since we can’t use the embed code, the magic used to resize the box around the form can’t be resized when needed. For example, if you use a multi-page form and the pages are significantly different sizes, you will need to size the HTML item in your Wix site to fit the longest page.
If you want to use your Formsite form in a box narrower than around 400px wide, you will notice that the responsive code reformats your form. This helps make the form more usable at narrow widths and can be disabled (but is not recommended) in the Form Editor -> Style -> Advanced page.
We have previously written about how to embed your forms using WordPress, but we’ve gotten some questions about how to use wordpress.com sites, too. Spoiler: You can’t.
What’s the difference?
WordPress gives us two ways to use their wonderful service:
- You can download the software and install it on a server you control, and our embedding method works great with this option.
- Or you can go to wordpress.com and make a new site using their totally-online version that uses their hosting and gives you a URL like myname.wordpress.com. This method prevents all outside scripts and embedding, unfortunately, and there is no good workaround at this time.
Hopefully these tips can help you with your site and feel free to contact our customer support if you ever have any questions or problems that we can help with.